Friday, July 24, 2026

Drats!!! Shoeless

 Darnit!!!

Lyric was missing a front shoe on Wednesday when I got home. And then Thursday morning Funny came in hopping on three legs. NOOOOO!!! She had twisted her front shoe half off and was stepping on the clip (and maybe a nail too?). I grabbed the tools and was working on getting the shoe off when she jumped and put her foot back down, then immediately picked it back up and was bleeding. I managed to get the shoe off. She had the clip embedded in her white line area and a nail had gone into her sole. Ugh.... I soaked it in iodine and then got stuff together to clean her and wrap her. I tried soaking it with epsom salts and iodine but she was not cooperative. So, I gave up and just hosed it off, then doused it with iodine. Then I squirted some PenG in the two spots, wrapped it in iodine soaked gauze and am hoping for the best. She also got two grams of bute with her dinner that night. 

Russel came on Friday and we pulled the wrap off. She had bled some, but wasn't currently bleeding. He said we should leave the shoe off since the 3d pad covered the hole and it would probably pack debris in it. And it would be hard to treat. Sigh... so now that means no riding for another week. Grrrrrr. Hopefully she won't abscess and turn that into more than a week of no riding! I've got Chatt schooling in two weeks! 

I redid the PenG and wrap. Friday evening she still had the wrap on and looked much sounder despite no more bute. Now I'm just debating whether I should start her on SMZ's or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment