Sunday, July 12, 2026

Steppin' up

 Well okay miss Funbuns! Way to rise to the occasion. I guess she heard me bragging on Lyrics fancy ride. Although... there is a tiny little curiousity in my brain... I've put her on omeprazole powder the last few days, and... she's been overall much better in our rides. Is it coincidence? Is it just that I happened to really learn how to ride better and she's rewarding me for that or... is it because her tummy feels better? Sigh... I really ought to get her scoped but... apparently it's $450, which isn't bad, but.. I just hate having to fast her overnight... even if I take her to Barrows for the night and let them do it. I contemplated doing it when Laura is having Smarty done, because then at least she's have a friend she knew. BUT... the morning she has the scope scheduled is the morning of my biopsy, and... I can't do both. So.. guess I'll see what happens once she runs out of the omeprazole powder and then decide. Or see if she gets worse again before we run out of it. Or, maybe I'll just end up scoping her at some point regardless. ;) Probably that one.... 

Anyways.... it was so hot and humid but I was trying to get her ridden so that Mike and I could go to the lake potentially and the weather was looking like afternoon storms were a possibility. Plus I had ridden Lyric so I was already hot and sweaty and dressed for it. So I grabbed her and hopped on. 

 

We started our warm up with the walk and some shoulder in and haunches in and some walk half pass. Then we picked up the trot. And she was kind of super. In fact, she was mostly super the whole ride. She was much more consistently in contact and soft and through her back. And her tempo stayed mostly slow. We even got some nice actual trot lengthens and back to working trot. We also cantered fairly early on and while that needs work, it wasn't bad. We got one amazing upward transition into the canter and some decent downwards. We did some leg yield and even did some baby trot half pass. One way is definitely harder. She was so good. I rewarded her with letting her jump the little jump. Twice. Oh, we also worked on our halts, which are not great, but better when I half halt with the outside rein and then switch to the inside rein for the final halt. And sit. And close my thighs. We also played with trot walk trots and those are slowly getting better. 

I was tempted to do a little bit more but she was so good I decided to reward that. So we headed back home and she got a nice long rinse. Good pony!!!

 
Now I really want to show her at Chatt again.. and I can do Lyric at Ashland... and Dan at the WE show at Stableview. It's gonna be a busy August :) 

I'm glad we rode when we did because it stormed on and off all afternoon. But we had a pretty sunset!


No comments:

Post a Comment