Ahhhh... liz lesson. Got me out of my mental "stuckage". I knew we were plateuing... and i knew it was okay and expected.. and I wasn't changing my riding (i don't think), but mentally it was frustrating. BUT.. liz helped today. it's straightness. And the straightness has to come before we can advance. And it's straightness through the shoulders and lift in the withers. Tracking left I overbend her in an attempt to get her barrel soft.. but ride counterflexed almost to straighten her up. Same both ways. Ride her shoulders around and almost think square turns to keep her straight. when she's straight, then she can lift and soften. And stay behind her... let it be slow. painfully slow. that's building. and she's happier when I'm not throwing her off balance with speed or my body. Make sure my head is up and on straight. post diagonally to the way she's falling to help balance her undeneath me. inside hand higher than the outside. I can ask for a bit more connection but with soft elbows that stay almost behind my back (to keep them supple and from breaking the straight line connection).
really good pony. only one little anticipation moment... then I just changed the subject. Oh, we cantered and now we must canter again. Cool, you're right, except first... let's do the drums and once you settle, we'll go back to canter. it worked and we didn't fight. canter felt amazing! Uphill and round and lifted. for downwards think two gaits ahead to get the better one gait downward. Ie from canter, think walk to get a nice trot. if i think trot, it's too quick. sit the trot in my transitions.
very good pony! Some nice work but it's gonna take some time.
photos: 8-26 liz day
No comments:
Post a Comment